About Sibley Memorial Hospital
Sibley traces its history to 1890, when the Lucy Webb Hayes National Training School for Deaconesses and Missionaries was founded by the Woman’s Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Washington, D.C. The first president of the Missionary Society was Lucy Webb Hayes, wife of Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th president of the United States of America.
The Lucy Webb Hayes National Training School soon recognized that a hospital was needed to provide a clinical setting for nursing education and medical care for the area’s rapidly growing population. William J. Sibley, a member of the Foundry Methodist Church, donated $10,000 for the construction of a hospital in memory of his wife, Dorothea Lowndes Sibley. The first hospital building at North Capital and Pierce streets was dedicated on October 19, 1894, and opened to receive patients in March 1895.
Over the following decades, the services of the hospital steadily expanded to meet the growing health needs of the community. By 1925, the facilities filled the entire block on North Capitol Street at Pierce and M streets. In the late 1940s, it became evident that a more modern facility was needed. The present site on Loughboro Road N.W. was acquired through congressional legislation in the 1950s, and a new hospital was built and opened to serve patients on May 30, 1961.
Throughout its history, Sibley has made the most effective use of resources to best serve the community while embracing medical innovation. At the turn of the 21st century, the institution saw the necessity of further growth.
As a not-for-profit and full-service community hospital, Sibley offers medical, surgical, intensive care, obstetric, oncology, orthopaedic and skilled nursing inpatient services, as well as a 24-hour Emergency Department. Sibley’s campus is also home to Grand Oaks, an assisted living residence; a medical building with physician offices and ambulatory surgery and imaging centers; and the new patient tower with 200 spacious, private rooms. Please feel free to contact us for assistance.
The New Sibley building, including the newly constructed Emergency Department which opened in 2015, officially opened fully to the public on September 26, 2016. The building features:
- 200 fully private patient rooms with accommodations for visitors
- An expanded medical oncology and inpatient oncology units
- A new Women’s and Infant’s Services department, including 18 private special care nursery bassinets
- An orthopaedic unit with a dedicated rehabilitation gym
- Integrated technology focused on improving the patient and visitor experience
Sibley Honored with Quality Achievement Award for Stroke Care (May 2016)
Sibley Memorial Hospital Once Again Selected Best Hospital in D.C. by Washington City Paper Readers (April 2016)
Sibley Named as a “Leader in LGBT Healthcare Equality” by National Survey (March 2016)
Sibley Memorial Hospital Named One of 12 Hospitals with Healthiest Food Options (February 2016)
Sibley’s Sullivan Breast Center Earns ACR Gold Seal Designation as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence (January 2016)